Jamie Dupuis (born May 10, 1990 in New Liskeard, Ontario, Canada), is a Canadian guitarist/composer and songwriter, best known for his complex fingerstyle technique, energetic performances, and his arrangements on the guitar and harp guitar. In 2016, Jamie's arrangement of Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd on the harp guitar has gotten over 19 million views on Facebook, gaining international recognition. Also winning 1st place at the Canadian Guitar Festival Competition (2016), one of the finest guitar competitions in the world (2016) Dupuis has successfully carved out his own style as a solo artist worldwide.
Starting with piano at age 6, Dupuis learned music theory and notation early on. But truly falling in love with being a musician at age 14 when he got his first guitar. Inspired by bands like Nirvana, Metallica, Yngwie Malmsteen, Rush, and Van Halen, Jamie learned to play rock music quickly. But this wasn't enough. His music teacher recommended classical guitar lessons and the classical musical training took everything to the next level. Having to practice 8 hours everyday, he was on a mission. While studying rock, classical and jazz, he also wrote his own original music. After high school he was able to pursue classical studies at Cambrian College (2008), learning how to become a professional solo performer under the studies of Philip Candelaria. Jamie then won the scholarship of his dreams, Full Ride Scholarship to the Musicians Institute in Hollywood, California (2011). This really set him onto a new and exciting path. Since graduating from Cambrian (2011) and Musicians Institute (2012), Jamie has been working as a professional musician, doing sessions, solo performances, weddings, bar gigs, festivals, composition, albums and youtube videos.
Jamie Dupuis’s style is influenced by great artists such as Chet Atkins, Tommy Emmanuel, Stevie Wonder, and Django Reinhart. Jamie is proficient in many styles such as: Classical, Jazz, Blues, Country, Rock, Folk and Pop.
Main Instruments: Harp Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Classical Guitar, Banjo, 18 String Classical Guitar, Electric Guitar and Vocals.
Awards / COMPETITIONs
- 2016 - 1st place winner at the Canadian Guitar Festival Competition
- 2015 - Sudbury Mayor's Award - Emerging artist winner
- 2012 - 1st place in the Country category in the International Lee Ritenour’s Six String Theory (2nd place overall)
- 2011- Kiwanis Music Festival – 1st place overall in Sudbury Ontario
- 2010 - 1st place in the Musician’s Institute Full Ride Scholarship International Competition in Hollywood California, USA
- 2009 - 1st place in the Days Festival Guitar Competition in Capreol Ontario
- 2015 – Temiskaming Art Gallery, Art in the Park in Haileybury Ontario
- 2015 - Dimanches après midi au parc in Ville Marie Quebec
- 2015- Northern Lights Festival Boreal, Featured artist, in Sudbury Ontario
- 2015-Jazz Festival in Sudbury Ontario
- 2015- Deep Water Festival, Featured artist, in Temagami Ontario
- 2014- Arizona Banjo and Ukulele Blast Festival in Tucson Arizona USA
- 2010 and 2011 - Guitar Alla Grande Festival, Featured artist, in Ottawa Ontario
- 2010- Jazz Festival, Featured artist, in Sudbury Ontario
- 2015-Pan AM Games in Toronto Ontario
- 2015-Northern Lights Festival Boreal - Sudbury
- 2014-Performed with world renowned banjo player Dave Marty, Norman’s Rare Guitars, in Hollywood California USA
- 2013-Opened for J.P. Cormier Canadian/folk/Celtic/singer-songwriter at the Townehouse Tavern in Sudbury Ontario
- 2013-Opened for Guy Davis, American blues guitarist and banjo player at the Cobalt Classic Theatre in Cobalt Ontario
- 2012 – Six String Nation Guitar, Featured artist, Miner’s Tavern in Cobalt Ontario
- 2011-Performed with Del Casher, modifier of the Wah-Wah Pedal, in Luxe City Centre Hotelin Los Angeles California USA
- 2011-Performed at the Bikers Reunion in New Liskeard Ontario
- 2010 and 2011-Guitars Alive Concert, Featured artist, in Sudbury Ontario
Special invitations and attendance
- 2014, 2016, 2017 - NAMM Show in Anaheim California USA to perform and demonstrate for ToneRite and Timberline Acoustic guitars.
- 2016 Tonalism
- 2012-Into the Wilderness
- 2010-Inspired by a Dream
- Timberline Guitars
- Rh Custom Guitars
- Tonedevil Harp Guitars
- Loucin Guitars Co.
- Stonebridge Guitars International
- Elixir Strings
- Dave Marty at Topanga Banjo Festival In Topanga California USA
- Del Casher Jazz Night at the Luxe City Centre Hotel in Los Angeles California USA